Answer Star Wars quiz today!
To the great delight of its fans, the Star Wars franchise is growing. Zadavaka is happy too: the more new films, the more cool trivia for his quizzes! Here are some fun facts about the original and prequel trilogies (don’t worry - no spoilers to The Force Awakens included):
- Alec Guiness, who portrayed Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original trilogy, called Star Wars “fairy-tale rubbish”, but still negotiated a deal to get 2% of the gross box office receipts for the films he appeared in, which earned him over $95 million!
- Peter Cushing, who portrayed Grand Moff Tarkin, couldn’t wear his costume boots for they were really uncomfortable. You may not have noticed it, but Tarkin’s feet were never shown to us, because Cushing was wearing slippers in many of his scenes!
- Before the filming of The Empire Strikes Back started, Mark Hamill was in a terrible car accident, and got severe facial trauma. The script was changed to account for the scars on his face; this is why Luke Skywalker gets mauled by a Wampa.
- Alan Harriss, who portrayed Bossk - a Trandoshan bounty hunter - in The Empire Strikes Back, wore a recycled spacesuit from Doctor Who.
- Ewan McGregor was so carried away during fight scenes that he kept making the sounds of the lightsaber. They had to be removed in post-production.
- Ahmed Best, who portrays Jar Jar Binks, makes an appearance out of costume in the background of one scene; so does Anthony Daniels, who plays C-3PO.
- Six different actors have portrayed Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in the course of the franchise: David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Bob Anderson, Sebastian Shaw, Jake Lloyd, and Hayden Christensen.
- Being a good father, George Lucas allowed his children become part of the legendary space saga: his daughter Katie plays the role of a Twi’lek dancer in Attack of the Clones; Amanda appears as a background extra; Jett portrays a young Padawan in the Jedi archives. George Lucas even filmed a cameo of his daughters’ favorite boy band ‘N Sync in Attack of the Clones, but the scene was removed from the final version.
- Luke Skywalker’s original last name was Starkiller, but it was never said aloud, so the change to Skywalker was completely effortless.
- Yoda was originally going to be played by a monkey with a cane. Moreover, his species has not been named in any of the Star Wars movies.
- The word “ewok” is never pronounced in the Star Wars movies, but one can hear “I have a bad feeling about this” in every film of the franchise.
- Qui-Gon Jinn uses a communicator, which actually is a Gillette women’s razor, slightly altered.
- Shots of Tatooine were filmed in a Tunisian village with a similar name Tataouine. The buildings constructed for the filming are still standing; some of them are even used by locals.
- On the basis of his behavior, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader can be diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder; he meets six of the nine diagnostic criteria, which is even more than is required to make the diagnosis.
- E.T.’s alien species became part of the Star Wars universe – they can be seen in the Galactic Senate.
Enjoy the new movie and may the Force be with you! Come back to play – Zadavaka is sure to add more questions based on The Force Awakens as soon as they lose their ‘spoiler alert’ status.